The chance that you or a member of your family will be a victim of violent crime is low. Violent crimes are still comparatively rare and account for a very small part of recorded crime. But some people are still frightened that they, or someone close to them, will be the victim of a violent attack.
Here are some tips:
- Try to fish in pairs in the evenings
- Carry a personal alarm
- Insure your gear with personal insurance – if someone threatens personal harm give them your gear – you can always claim it back.
- Carry a mobile and report any suspicious activity
- When fishing under bridges look out for flying debris – people have been known to throw empty bottles at anglers.
- Try not to drink when you fish, the last thing you need is to be drunk and flailing around in the river trying to swim – it annoys the fish.