The rules for the season as approved by the association at the AGM, held on the 3rd February 2011.
1. Members must always carry their Permit whilst fishing and must produce it if requested to do so. No excuses will be accepted. If you do not have your permit with you then you cannot commence fishing. Any angler who refuses to show his or her permit to fish to a bailiff, warden or fellow angler or who refuses to hand over their permit to a bailiff or warden will be banned from fishing thereafter.
2. All catch returns must be submitted to the Secretary by no later than20th November. Failure to complete the return will result in cancellation of membership. RKAA have a legal requirement to submit an accurate annual catch return to the Crown Estate.
3. A member shall attend his rod at all times.
4. No fishing for brown trout from 7th October to 14th March inclusive.
5. No fishing from the falls next to Bishops Mill.
6. No fishing on the Allander itself or any of it’s tributaries from 1stOctober to 10th February or on the remainder of the association’s water from 1st November to 10th February. (All dates inclusive)
7. Any member or ticket holders found to be fishing by illegal methods or to be foul hooking fish or attempting to foul hook fish, will have their permit confiscated instantly with no refund given irrespective of whether the person is charged or not, and shall be instantly banned from fishing the association waters. Any fish that may be foul hooked shall immediately be returned to the water undamaged and alive.
8. Use of gaff is strictly prohibited, a tailer must not be used to land a fish that is to be returned, and landing nets should be knotless.
9. Private property must be respected at all times. Goodwill between property owners and fishermen is of the utmost importance if our association is to be successful.
10. No vehicle access to Station Road, Bardowie.
11. Fishing on Garscube Estate is only allowed by those who first report in at the Estate Office (off the switchback road). Please remember to sign out.
12. Antisocial behaviour towards another member of the association will not be tolerated. Anyone who behaves in this way will have their membership cancelled.
13. Members are reminded that only fly, spinner, or even bait are allowed and that fixed lines, ledgering, rod rests, multiple rods, and bubble floats are strictly forbidden. (Ledgering – using a weight to fix a bait to the river bed.)
14. All fish less than 300mm (12″) in length must be returned irrespective of their condition.
15. Anglers may take only 1 migratory fish per day from RKAA controlled water. No migratory fish may be offered for sale.
16. Anglers are restricted to 3 migratory fish per season by the club tagging system. If you don’t have your tags then you can’t keep your fish. Anyone found to be in possession of an untagged fish will be banned for life. Fish must be tagged as soon as they are chapped.
17. From the start of the season until the 31st of May all salmon fishing is by catch and release. Any salmon caught must be returned regardless of condition.
18. From the 1st of October until the end of the season all salmon fishing is by catch and release. Any salmon caught must be returned regardless of condition.
19. The use of prawn/shrimp and live minnow is strictly prohibited.
20. Sunday is restricted to fly fishing only. No fishing for migratory fish on Sunday. A member may not fish on a Sunday with a line having a breaking strain greater than 4lbs or with a hook larger than size 12.
21. Netting fish is strictly prohibited with the exception of landing fish caught by rod and line.
22. Members are not allowed to light fires by the river or on the surrounding land, and no dogs.
23. No fishing by any means is permitted from bridges, trees or between a point 100 metres above the fish ladder near Gavin’s Mill (Milngavie), and a point 50 metres below the road bridge below it.
24. Those fishing bait or spinner must give way to those fishing the fly.
25. A step down stream must be taken after every cast. If you wish to go back and fish through a section again, you must not start casting less than 5 metres above your last cast.
26. No boat fishing.
27. All brown trout must be returned.
28. Any member found to be bringing the Association into disrepute will have their membership withdrawn.
29. The aforementioned Rules supersede all previous and must be adhered to by all Members. Any amendments to the Rules during the course of the year will be notified to all Members.